Prairie Fire Magazine at National Magazine Awards
Janine Tschuncky, Press Release, May 2, 2013
MAWA presents Working Toward a Retrospective
May. 21, 2013
Sarasvàti Productions presents Jail Baby - World Premiere
May. 16, 2013 - May. 25, 2013
On Screen Manitoba
App Deadline: 22 / 05 / 2013
App Deadline: 24 / 05 / 2013
Winnipeg, MB - With the culmination of another fiscal year, the Children’s Museum proudly posted a surplus budget for 2011. The museum’s annual operating budget was $1,287,650, and it concluded its fiscal year with a surplus of $18,300.
The Children’s Museum reports a significant increase in visitors in its first year of operations following a complete renovation of its gallery space in 2010-2011. 167,561 people visited the Children’s Museum from June 4, 2011 to May 31, 2012, including 21,395 school children (23% of whom were provided free admission through the museum’s Free2Play Access Program). The museum’s website traffic also increased, with over 350,000 unique visits in the same period.
“Given the economic challenges many local children’s arts and cultural organizations are currently facing, we are certainly grateful to be in this position with our annual operations,” says Diane Doth, Children’s Museum Executive Director. “However, in terms of our ongoing capital campaign, we are not as comfortably situated.”
Doth explains, “With many other construction projects and capital campaigns ongoing in Winnipeg, we are still working very hard to raise the remaining funds necessary to meet our capital campaign goal in order to sustain ourselves in the future. Our construction came in on budget - we responded to construction cost increases and unanticipated expenses by making adjustments, putting some things on hold, and often times being creative in our plans. We responded to our community who identified the need for a renewed museum space – and we continue to look to our community for their support in helping us meet our project’s remaining goal.”
The Children’s Museum is a non-profit, charitable organization. The museum receives approximately 18% of its operating budget from supporting levels of the government, and relies on earned revenue (including admission and membership fees, shop sales, birthdays, and museum rentals) and fundraising initiatives to cover the remaining 82% of its operating costs. At this time, the Children’s Museum still needs $875,000 to meet its $10 million capital campaign goal.